Who are we
The Australian Professional Teachers Association (APTA) is a federation of state and territory joint councils of teacher professional associations representing over 160 000 teachers, from government and non-government schools within Australia.
Our work provides value to the community, ensuring ongoing support for the profession while developing quality teaching and leadership. Each of these councils represents its professional education member associations. All of these associations are managed and maintained by professional educators. The APTA provides a national voice for Australian teachers from all sectors and all levels of education.
What we do
The purpose of the APTA is to provide leadership that supports and advances professional teaching associations. The purpose of the APTA is to:
- be a voice for, and raise the profile of, the profession;
- build an informed and supportive network for collaborative activities, projects and research;
- be proactive in the development, implementation and review of policy;
- advocate in matters of significance to the profession
- liaise, collaborate and network with relevant national and international organisations.